Tuesday, December 20, 2011

All Roads lead to Rome


And here I set my face towards home,

For all my pilgrimage is done,



Although, methinks, yon blood-red sun

Marshals the way to Holy Rome.

O Blessed Lady, who dost hold

Upon the seven hills thy reign!

O Mother without blot or stain,

Crowned with bright crowns of triple gold!



O Roma, Roma, at thy feet

I lay this barren gift of song!



From Oscar Wilde



Reflections Day 1



Spending most of the day flying and getting through customs was not what I would call exciting, but not as painful as could have been.   The Rome airport did not resemble anything to what we picture from map and internet searches, still finding Lauries was easy as she was right near where we discussed, once I found it.

Our driver was excellent, he gave us a mini tour as we drove to the hotel.  His English was Moderate but his Italian was impeccihleable, My Italian is horrible so its was more than a fair trade.  I am still sort of in awe as this is a promise I made to Laurie 30 years ago and it is finally happening.  Who would a figured eh!

Rome is mazing as there is such a mixture of modern and ancient, pagan and Christian, so busy, traffic sounds, police sirens, horns honking.

We arrived at the hotel, Antonio our host is magnificent, he is an Italian born and raised in London but he has lived in Rome the last 16 years, he makes us Cappichinos and we have a 45 minute conversation, he guides us as what to see, what to avoid and finds us maps and contact info for various activities.

The room is small but plush and gorgeous.  It is evening now, so after unpacking we take a small walk, the Colosseum is just a block away and it is our first stop.  There are a group of actors portraying centurions and Laurie is made Queen for an hour, it was very fun and entertaining.  We walk up towards the forum but most everything is shutting down for the day, it is getting cold, and I have been in the desert for the past months I have forgotten how cold feels. I am very quickly reminded.

We find a small cafĂ© called the Gladitore, it is wonderful, the staff are very hospitable and we converse eat and drink tea.  Laurie is fading as she had the 20+ hours of flight.  Time to take her to rest and charge for day 2.




Roma


All ahead
Flight behind
Weary bones, Hungry eyes

A dream becomes Reality
As we discover Rome


The world once ruled
With a Roman hand
The home to which all roads lead

Majestic city of old
Stone cold and powerful
With a wealth that turned to dust

Yet rebirthed and rebuilt

You’ve become the city Eternal



I want to see the ancients
To hear about their lives
And see their work
What can I use today?

I will walk the streets
Smell the smells
build this journey
Into a masterpiece
That I can filter and relish
For many years to come



Mine

The rest is still unwritten

No comments:

Post a Comment